The Completed

Final Fantasy I * Final Fantasy II * Final Fantasy III * Final Fantasy IV * Final Fantasy V * Final Fantasy VI * Final Fantasy VII * Final Fantasy VIII * Final Fantasy IX * Final Fantasy X * Final Fantasy XI * Final Fantasy XII

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Final Fantasy XI Noob (T-Minus 13 Days)


So for the past two days I have been learning how to play Final Fantasy XI. The game has a very steep learning curve, and while last week I was trying to figure things out by myself, this week I just gave up and started asking some of my friends. Yes, they did twink (to be helped out by a higher level player) me. My buddy with the nickname CrystalKain lent me 50,000gil to start, but unlike the real world, you can't just buy stuff and equip it. Everything has a level requirement. So I'm still struggling to get the ins-and-outs of the MMORPG.

I'm taking baby steps. I finally learned how to heal (or rest for that matter). For the longest time I thought it was by use of INN or potions, but instead there's a Heal function where the character just kneels and recharges as time goes by. Next I learned that playing with a mouse is tiresome and inefficient. Everything can be done by the Keyboard, and done faster. With simple little things like that I started gaining levels regularly. I'm still not used to using the CHECK function to see the strength of monsters (or MOBS as they say), but it's saved my life a couple of times.

As for my character? I was using the Thief because he can find Gil faster, but now I've switched to the White Mage because of his healing ability. If anybody ever wants to find me, I'm Stabino on the Garuda server.

As I play this game more I am scared to think about how I can document me playing it in its "entirety" for the FFChallenge. It's going to take a lot of limitations and timers. I'll be rethinking it in my week of work. Ten-hour days everyday from here on, more money, less time. It's a way of a yuppie's life (except I don't make as much as one).

No comments: