The Completed

Final Fantasy I * Final Fantasy II * Final Fantasy III * Final Fantasy IV * Final Fantasy V * Final Fantasy VI * Final Fantasy VII * Final Fantasy VIII * Final Fantasy IX * Final Fantasy X * Final Fantasy XI * Final Fantasy XII

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Final Fantasy 2, not II (Day 11)

Onward to Final Fantasy 2, and no not the USA release of Final Fantasy II, but the actual Final Fantasy 2. We start with four characters again on the search for crystals... no! We don't! Actually, the crystals are not a part of the story at all. At least I haven't heard about yet, and I'm now 9 hours in. So what's the primary tool moving the plot of this story? How about an evil empire trying to dominate the world and squashing every bit of resistance left with their fleets of airships. Wait, back up again, how come I don't know the story? Well, actually it's because Final Fantasy 2 is one of the FOUR Final Fantasy games that I have never completed. I have played it, but never beat it. I played it in Japanese, and damn I gave up quick.

Another thing that I noticed with FF2 is that it does not have the leveling up system anymore. As your character fights more battles, you gain status ups instead of level ups. So your character gets stronger except you don't know what number level you are. It also is intuitive to your battle methods as those who use more magic will gain more intelligence and MP and those who fight more will gain more HP and strength. This is all fun and games and is more like "real life", but heck I'd love to have number levels back. It's just like Romancing Sa*Ga, except after battles in that game they get their HP refilled. This game doesn't give you health after a battle, it doesn't give you anything except gold and status ups. This game is remarkably, hard.

I died in the first 5 minutes of the game because I wandered off of the first town too far. This is the first official death of the whole Final Fantasy Challenge. I can't believe they placed high level enemies in a place where you can walk to w/in the first 5 minutes of the game. I met two Magicians and two Knights. The Magicians did "Fire V" on me and my whole party fell. That's it, the intro game screen started. What a let-down (I can think of other phrases, but I will not reiterate the moment at this point). I then remembered why I stopped playing the game on my Wonderswan in the first place, I had no idea what to do. I needed help.

I went to a FAQ on Gamefaqs and I actually got the game started. As I said, I am not neglecting FAQs or guidebooks in my challenge, as I see aids can only get you that far, the rest is you putting effort into the game. Plus it's not like these games are "new".

So I kept playing, and I started to understand the structure of the game: magic is important as MP is scarce. The first three characters, Firion, Maria, and Leila seem permanent, but he fourth leg has been switched often. Magic is for everyone now, but attack magic seem more important than enfeeblement ones. There wasn't any notable bosses so I decided to skip the adventure log. More to come soon.
  • Game Time: 9 hrs 7 mins
  • Total Time: 30 hrs 45 mins
  • Days: 11 of 80

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Final Fantasy 11 Cheats Final Fantasy 11 Gil and Final Fantasy XI Guides click here.

Todd said...

"The first three characters, Firion, Maria, and Leila seem permanent, but he fourth leg has been switched often." It's Firion, Maria, and GUY. Leila is a party member you pick up about half-way through the game. and let me give you a hint on how to win. (remember to do this with one person at a time, It helps!) equip 2 shields on 1 person and in a battle... have them attack with it. While doing this they are gaining shield exp and are impossible to hit with PHYSICAL attacks. after you attack about 10 time with your shields equip 1 1-handed weapon and a shield and finish the battle. you have now leveled up shields skill. (another tip, for example if your sword skill is at 2 it will take 2 attacks of your character (using a sword of course) to move the bar by one amount (and the higher the level the less that amount will be) so what im saying is Final fantasy is the easiest game in the world. All you have to knw is how to abuse some things. and also, once your shields get to level 16 (which is the max for everything) you cannot be hit by PHYSICAL attacks even the last boss cant hit you (but you do need a shield equipped obviously) hoped that helped, im a master of FF 2 :)